Australian Access Federation

You are here: Home Corpora Corpus of Oz Early English 4-329 (Original)

4-329 (Original)

Item metadata
addressee author,male,Balzano, James,37
Narrative Discourse
Word Count :
Plaint Text :
Private Written
Compton, 1993
Document metadata

4-329.txt — 19 KB

File contents

January 7, 1896 I slept middling well it being a cold night. Got up 6.00 am. Pretty warm day all day. Breakfast 6.35 am; three buns and cocoa. Afterwards went to town to buy some stores from Fimister and Co. a tin Nestles milk 1 / 1, 1£b pressed potatoes 1 / 1, a tin apricots 1 / 7, a two gallon water bag 2 / 6, two lb onions 1/2, a loaf bread lid, one gallon water 6d. Left half of my things with [...] too heavy to carry it, went to the hospital. The secretary supplied me with a list of all those persons who have died in the hospital up to date. Dinner 12.30 pm; bread, cheese and tea. At 1.00 pm I started for I.O.U. with the wheelbarrow. I passed the Great Boulder Mine 2.30 pm. I reached the Six Mile Patch, here I had a chat with two chaps dry-blowing. At 3.55 pm I reached Lake Gamballie which about 8 miles south Kalgoorlie. Here I camped about 600 yards north of Lakeview Hotel owned by F. Dwyer. Here are a lot condensers, probably over a dozen of them. The salt water is very shallow, in place 12 feet deep and upwards. They sell water at 4d per gallon. I made some stew of potatoes, onions and minced beef. Partook of it with bread and tea at 6.00 pm. After supper had a look over this morning Kalgoorlie Miner. Went to the Hotel for a while. Retired at 9.00 pm. The country between here and Kalgoorlie is pretty well timbered, mostly Gum trees. From about the Great Boulder Mine to here the ground gradually runs in to a flat strewn with ironstone, salt bushes and other scrubs. [...]
January 8, 1896 I slept pretty well last night. Got up at 5.00 am. It being a gloomy morning with sign of rain at 5.30 am. A few drops fell then cleared up and pretty warm all day. About 400 pm began to get cloudy. The wind first started to blow from the north-east then changed gradually to the west. At 5.30 pm a dust storm arose from the west and lifted great clouds of dust and finished up with a few drops of rain. Then remained cloudy. About 7.45 pm another little shower of rain fell, lasted about 5 minutes. After I got up went to buy three gallons water off one of the condensers at 4d per gallon. Breakfast at 5.30 am; bread, half tin apricots and tea At 5.55 am I think I started for the I.O.U. which is about 22 miles from Kalgoorlie (east). On the road I met a chap going to Kalgoorlie with a water bag only and another one carrying a Swag, a waterbag and a billy can going to Kalgoorlie also. At 11.30 am horses With four wagons passed me going to Peake's Find. They stopped for lunch at 1 l.45 am and I stopped too and had dinner at 1200 pm; another half tin apricots, bread and tea. I started on the road again at 12.55 pm while the wagoners were still resting. Three of them had six horses each and the other had five horses to his wagon in all 23 horses. Two men in a trap with one horse overtook me about nine miles from the I.O.U. They pulled up to have a little chat and they repassed me on their return journey to Kalgoorlie about three miles from the township. [88] At 1.30 pm I passed the Kurnalpi Road. At 2.30 pm I reached the I.O.U. I halted about north of the new township and about 300 yards from the Bulong Hotel kept by C.H. Reid. I bought one gallon water off Reid 4d and as I started to make some stew, presently I saw the chap named Rowley (one of the party we travelled from Lake Darlot to Pendennie) coming towards me. We had a chat. At 5.30 pm a shower of rain came on. We pitched the tent in hurry. The rain put out my fire. I lit it again. I offered Rowley some stew, he refused it. He went away at 6.45 pm. After supper I pitched the tent properly, sat down on the bed. 7.50 pm wrote the foregoing. Had a look through the Sydney Bulletin. Blew out the candle 9.00 pm.
I.O.U. - January 9, 1896 I slept middling well. It has been a pretty warm day. Some flying clouds were hovering today. At 9.00 am I went to Carry's Store in the old township site, bought a tin apricots 1 / 9, a tin curry powder 1 / -. At 10.00 am I went to the Bulong Hotel owned by Mr Reid to get water. He told me to get it behind an unoccupied hotel. I got seven gallons free. I washed a pair of trousers and a flannel shirt. Passed the rest of the day at the camp. Done a lot reading. Coolgardie Courier and Bulletins. Also washed a handkerchief. Retired at 10.20 pm. Breakfast 7.30 am; bread, tin sardines and cocoa. For lunch ditto (tea) at 1.00 pm. Supper 5.45 pm; stew and tea.
P.S. I got up at 7.00 am.
I.O.U. - January 10, 1896 I slept middling well. Up 6.00 am. Very warm day. After breakfast I took a walk to the hospital. I noticed an old chap there sick and another man (also sick) named Bell. I had a long chat with the latter. Thence I strolled to where McIntyre and party won £9,000 worth gold out of a Mullockey leader. Thence to my camp. After dinner took a walk over John Mahor's Gully and thence to B.J. Carry's Store. Bought a packet oatmeal 1 / 6, a lb sugar 7d, a tin meat 1 / 1, thence went to get a gallon water at Mr Reid. A little girl named Amy filled my water, paid 4d. Stayed all the evening in camp reading scraps of newspapers which I picked up during the day. Retired 9.45 pm. Breakfast 7.30 am; half tin apricots, bread and cocoa. Dinner at 1.05 pm; stew and tea. Supper 5.00 pm; the same what I had for breakfast.
I.O.U. - January 11, 1896 Slept well last night. Got up 7.00 am. It being a gloomy morning, overcast it cleared up and turned out a very hot day. At about noon was thundering in the east and looked like raining. On the west black clouds began to rise and at 4.45 pm came on to rain heavy. The shower lasted till 5.00 pm then again from 5.45 pm till 8.30 pm. After breakfast this morning I went prospecting towards Lake Yindarlgooda and as I walked along kept an eye on the ground right and left hoping to pick up a piece of gold but no such luck. I reached the Lake 11 .00 am which is about 4 miles south-east of the township. I had a chat with Samuel, Tom Carmichael's mate. He has a condenser here with two other men. I started again for the township 12.00 pm and arrived at 1 .00 pm. In the afternoon I bought off Carry's Store a tin fruit 1 / 9, a tin peas 1 / , a tin honey 1 / 6 and off the baker Otto Vetter a loaf bread 9d and a browney (1£b) 1 / 6. At 4.45 pm came on to rain. [89] I managed to boil the billy in the rain. Read some scraps of newspapers. Retired 8.30 pm. At 8. 10 am; porridge and milk, At 2. 10 pm; stew and tea. At 7.00 pm; half browney and tea.
I.O.U. - Sunday January 12, 1896 Slept well last night. Got up 7.40 am. It has been a gloomy day, threaten to rain but it has kept dry. After breakfast I took a stroll towards the township. From there to Mystery Mine. From thence back I met Rowley by the old township site. Came to my tent. Wrote down notes of what is known about the I.O.U. After dinner we went to Mrs Page. We had a drink Hop Beer. I paid for it 1 / . There I left him. I went to Mr Carry. Supplied me with some notes about the I.O.U. thence went to Mr Paisley. Got some more from him. He is a married man. He has a wife and a little daughter named Ida or Ada aged about nine years or thereabout. From there I went to attend a meeting at the Bulong Hotel. Mr C.H. Reid was voted as chairman.. It being an open air meeting the object of the meeting was to protest against the Mine Department removing the register of the leases from the I.O.U. and transferring it to Perth. There were present between 40 to 50 men. After the meeting I went to have supper. Afterwards I went to the hospital. Stayed there till 900 pm. Had a talk with Mr Jay the hospital orderly and Mr Ramsden and John Walker. I wrote down some notes about this field. Returned to my tent and retired 1000 pm.
P.S. It being a darksome night, clouded and wind blowing from north-south. Breakfast 9. 10 am; porridge with milk and cocoa. Dinner at 1 .00 pm; Browney, bread, honey and tea. Supper 7.00 pm; stew and tea. Bought off Carry a tin milk 1 / , a loaf bread off Otto Vetter 9d. [...] [90] [91]
January 13, 1896 Slept middling well. Got up at 5.20 am. Gloomy morning threatening to rain all day. Now and again a few drops of rain fell and cool day. At 5.55 am; partook of breakfast; bread, honey and cocoa. At 6.35 am I started for Kurnalpi which is 40 miles from the I.O.U. and 84 miles from Coolgardie. At 9.25 am (and about 6 miles from the I.O.U.) I came to a very beautiful Kurrajong tree standing a yard away at right hand side of track. Is about 18 inches thick and about 20 feet high. It has four main branches. It stands on a flat ground and east of a hill. At 11.45 am 13 miles or so from I.O.U. I halted and boiled the billy and had lunch at 12.00 pm; bread and tinned roast beef and tea. Started again at 12.45 pm. At 1.45 pm I reached Lake Yindarlgooda approximately 17 miles from the I.O.U. This lake has romantic geological scenery. Amongst the sights there are two table top hills near each other. They seem like if they were heaved up from the bottom of the lake but may be more probably that the whole lake at one time was a high land and it subsided at some remote geological period and these hills being hard core were left standing. I am not quite certain. I think the one on the Kurnalpi side is named Mount Yindarlgooda and the other on the I.O.U. side is named Mount Magnet. I have no aneroid to measure their heights. They seem over 200ft high and composed of diorite quartz and iron and covered with scrubs. The lake is four miles wide where I crossed it. for the wheelbarrow I found in places very soft and hard in other places. At 2.00 pm I passed the table top hills. At 4. 10 pm I passed an old shaft about 20 feet deep. On a board nailed on a stick was written this:-
To the Jean [Queen?] Lapage Mine - east hand track 3 miles S.E. Mullis and A.H. Brown.
At 420 pm I reached the opposite side of Lake Yindargooda. At 5.00 pm I reached Lake Lapage. About 3 miles from Lake Yindarlgooda. Good track for the wheelbarrow. At 5.37 pm I got over Lake Lapage. For half a mile or so being awfully soft I nearly bursted myself pushing the barrow. After I crossed the lake I travelled for a while and camped at 6.12 pm about 3 miles east and about one mile north of Lake Lapage and about 29 miles off I.O.U. I felt very tired indeed. I pitched the tent and lit the fire. Made some soup out of a tin Peas and tinned roast beef. Partook of it at 7. 10 pm with a drink tea. At 7.45 pm I laid down to sleep on abed of Mulga boughs and other bushes.
P.S. The country between I.O.U. and Lake Yindarlgooda is broken in a lot of hills and interspersed with long stretches of flats. Pretty well timbered. Salmon Gums, Sheoaks, Mulga, Kurrajongs, Quandongs, Sandalwood, other trees and scrubs such as salt bushes. Between Lake Yindarlgooda and Lake Lapage the country is flat, composed of Ironstone and middling timbered (mostly Sheoaks and some gum trees, salt bushes and other scrubs). [...] [92]
January 14, 1896 Slept middling well. Got up 6.05 am. A very gloomy morning threatening to rain. At 11.30 am a light shower fell. Lasted 15 minutes. After then kept day all the afternoon and no sign of the sun both yesterday and today. Breakfast 6.45 am; bread, honey and cocoa. At 7. 10 am I started for Kurnalpi. At 8.30 am I reached the Cane Grass Swamp. Here I had chat with a man (who is condensing water), for half an hour. Started again at 9.00 am. At 10.50 am I came to Success Mine. It has a 4 stampers battery situated on a bit of rise. It started crushing about April 1895. At 11.30 am came on a little shower of rain. I halted and boiled the billy. Had lunch at 1 1.45 am; bread, Sydney tinned roast beef and tea. I being only two miles and a half from Kurnalpi at this spot. Started again at 12.20 pm. When within a mile and a half from Kurnalpi came to a condenser run by Cocks or Cox. Here bought two gallons water 4d per gallon. At 1.25 pm I reached Kurnalpi. I camped below the new townsite, under the large gum tree and about 200 yards from the Kurnalpi hotel and off the Coolgardie road. After I pitched the tent I went to the old township, half a mile away south-east of the new one. There I bought one lb preserved potatoes 1/2, 1 1/2£b onions 1 / , one tin meat 1 / , a loaf bread 1 / , returned to my camp. Done cooking. Supper 6. 10 pm; stew and a drink tea. Afterwards read scraps of old newspapers found in abandoned camp site. Retired 9.30 pm.
January 15, 1896 I slept middling well. Got up 7.00 am. Gloomy morning. About 2.00 pm began to clear up. The black clouds began to disperse and it came on very hot. About 6.00 pm began thundering and lightning from the east and black clouds began to gather. About 9.00 pm a light shower of rain fell for two or three minutes duration. After breakfast I strolled over the alluvial workings such as Shannan and Mentor Gullies, over Social Flat, Burgier Gully and Deep Lead. The Reward Claim and many other places. At 100 pm I took a stroll to the Cemetery Gully one and a half miles from the townsite. There are six graves, five nameless and the other only has "Mountain" imprinted with black letter on a little board nailed on a stick. Thence went to the store at the old township. Bought a gallon water 5d, one lb pressed potatoes 1/2, half lb candles. At the baker Bugleons a loaf bread 1 / and information about Kurnalpi. Got back to my camp 4.00 pm. Done the cooking. After supper went to Reid's Store to get two tins meat 2 / and when I left to come back it was pitch dark and I done a good deal of wandering in the bush before I found my tent. (10 pm looked through some old newspapers and retired 11.30 pm.)
P.S. Breakfast 8.00 am; Avena porridge with milk. Dinner 12.00 pm; half tin apricots, bread and tea. Supper 6.00 pm; a plate stew, half tin apricots, bread and tea. [...] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99]
January 16, 1896 I got up at 4.55 am. It being a gloomy morning, threatening to rain. It kept off, clouded and dry all day. Breakfast 5.20 am; bread., honey and cocoa. At 5.40 am left Kurnalpi for the White Feather pushing the wheelbarrow. At 6. 10 am I passed Cocks' condenser. At 800 am I came to the Cane Grass Swamp. At 11.30 am I came to the spot where I camped on January 13 on Lake Lapage. Here I halted and boiled the billy. Dinner at 12.05 pm; stew of beef and potatoes, bread and tea. Started again at 1.30 pm. At 3.00 pm crossed Lake Lapage. I found it very wet indeed for the wheelbarrow. Here (Lake Lapage) at the condenser of Taylor and Downey I bought a gallon water 4d. At 5.00 pm I started crossing Lake Yindarlgooda. Beautiful scenery on this lake. When I got halfway across I left the I.O.U. and Coolgardie Road to the left and took the road to the right leading to the White Feather. At 6.20 pm I reached the opposite side of the lake. At 6.25 pm I camped for the night. Just at the edge of the lake feeling tired. I travelled about 22 miles today. I lit the fire and cooked the supper. Meanwhile I made my bed of Sheoak boughs. Supper 7.30 pm; stew and cocoa only. I retired at 8. 10 pm.
P.S. Too tired to pitch the tent. The country between Kurnalpi and here is pretty well all level. Gough's condenser is situated at the Cane Grass Swamp. [...]
January 17, 1896 A shower of rain fell last night. I got up at 11.45 pm and pitched the tent but it kept dry the rest of the night. I got up at 5.35 am. A gloomy morning threatening to rain but cloudy and dry all day. Breakfast 6. 10 am; Avena porridge and drink cocoa only (milk both in the porridge and cocoa). At 6.55 am left Lake Yindarlgooda. Reached Proctor and company's condenser 8.30 am. Here I bought a gallon water 4d and pushed on. At 9.30 am I passed a swagman going to Kurnalpi. At 1 1.00 am I halted and boiled the billy. Lunch at 1 1.30 am; stew of minced mutton and potatoes, bread and tea. Started again at 12. 10 pm and reached Ready's condenser at 5.20 pm which is Situated on the Lake Gwynne 7 miles east of the White Feather and 33 miles from Kurnalpi. Here I camped for the night. Supper at 6.35 pm. The same Stew and cocoa only. After supper I went to Mr John Ready's camp. Got a gallon water for nothing. I asked Mr Ready for some information. How he discovered Kurnalpi and about Mt. Yuille and a little sketch of his life. He Very willingly supplied them. It filled the four pages of sheet of letter paper. I thanked Mr Ready and retired at 9.3 5 pm on a bed of Mulga boughs. Today I travelled about 20 miles or so. [...] [100] [101]
January 18, 1896 I slept pretty well last night. I got up at 5.45 am. Cloudy morning though cleared up a little later on and slightly warm all day. Breakfast at 630 am; bread, honey and cocoa. Afterwards rolled up my things and loaded the barrow. Waited till Mr Ready got up. Bought a gallon water 4d and asked him for some more information which he kindly supplied. Thanked him. At 8.08 am I started for the White Feather. At 8.20 am passed an ironblow about 25 feet high and about 15 chains around the base and pretty sharp at the top. At 9.15 am I got over Lake Gwynne. At 9.35 am I reached the top of the High Hill [Four Mile hill] which rises with fairly abrupt face fast by at the south of the road. From whose summit I had a good prospect of Lake Gwynne and part of the White Feather field. There is a cairn on top of this hill. Probably a surveying party raised it.
And now Mr Ready told me last night (and pointed out to me this morning) that he thinks this hill is the Mount Yuille which caused the Will-O-Wisp rush and which resulted in the finding of the Kalgoorlie field, but some other person located this "phantom mount" 10 miles east of Bardoc. When Ready went to recall his teams and the crowd of men as well, they told him that Mount Yuille was situated 25 miles due north of the White Feather. Now whilst standing on this hill (whether to designate it Mount Yuille or Mount Cairn I am not quite clear about it.) I roughly guess it rises 300 feet or 400 feet above Lake Gwynne. Composed of diorite and quartz. Its principal vegetation are Mulga, some poor gum trees, Quondongs, Sandalwood, some Kurrajongs, some Sheoaks and scrubs. The summit is uniform for about half a mile. [102] The southern portion is broken into hills. The northern side is abrupt. Distant from the White Feather about two miles and from the lake a mile or thereabouts. I returned to my wheelbarrow and resumed the journey and reached White Feather 12.20 pm. I have been longing to come to this field for many long days. I had even to overcome my strong desire to come here straight from Bardoc when the exemption started. I do hope fortune has something good in store for me here. I camped in Black Fellow Gully amidst a clump of Sheoaks about 150 yards north of the cricket ground and roughly about 600 yards or more north-east of township and roughly 500 yards south of Red Hill. 300 yards or so west of Nemesis Lease and roughly 300 yards east of the White Feather Hospital. I went to the township, bought the following articles off Messrs Brimage and Church's store in the main street called Isabella Street east side; lib of pressed potatoes 1/3, 1 tin meat 1 / , 2 loaves bread 1 / 8, 1 tin Nestles' milk 1 / , 1 tin peas 1 / , 1 gallon water 6d, 1 tin apricots 1 / 7, 1 cake pressed vegetable 8d. They are selling this stuff at 4 / per lb so I got a cake for 8d. Returned to the camp and had dinner at 1.25 pm; half tin apricots, bread and tea. Afterwards pitched the tent and whilst resting read the Coolgardie Pioneer dated January 8th. Supper at 5.50 pm; a plateful of stew and tea only. Passed the rest of the evening reading the Pioneer. Retired at 9.30 pm on the bed made of Sheoak boughs.